It all comes down to this: one single game to decide who makes the Postseason, and who goes home wondering “what if.” In preparation for the big night, here are five things that you’ll probably wish you didn’t know.
1. The Oriole population in Baltimore has been ravaged by a rare strain of avian tuberculosis that has left 84% of the birds in the area sidelined for the entire month.
2. Marcus Stroman can throw 120mph with his left arm, but he only throws righty in order to keep the media from learning about The Prophecy he made when he was nine.
3. Buck Showalter always wanted to be an entertainment lawyer but was making too much of a name for himself in baseball. He sadly thumbs through his collection of Topps Lawyer Cards before every game.
4. Manny Machado goes by the porn name “Manny Macho,” as does teammate JJ Hardy.
5. MLB has determined that the Wild Card play-in games shall not exceed 9 innings. If the game remains tied, fans of both sides must nominate five players to participate in an all-out brawl. Only equipment already on the field may be used as weaponry.
6. Every American on the Blue Jays roster is voting for Gary Johnson.